Above: Narrabri Fire and Rescue on scene outside the Government Office Block on Maitland Street (next to The Reject Shop) on Tuesday morning.
Narrabri Fire and Rescue were on the scene at the Government Office Block in Maitland Street on Tuesday morning after responding to a call that the lower level of the building was filled with smoke.
Crews located a burnt out belt due to an overheated and damaged bearing in an air-conditioning compressor in the plant room resulting in the building being filled with a large amount of smoke.
The power was disconnected to the building by Essential Energy staff and atmospheric monitoring took place to ensure the atmosphere inside the building was safe for people to return.
During the operation Narrabri firefighters were assisted by Boggabri Fire and Rescue, which they thanked for their assistance.
The southern side of Maitland Street between Bowen and Dewhurst Streets was closed for firefighting operations for several hours and was reopened later that morning.To order photos from this page click here