Narrabri West has bore the brunt of the town’s flood damage as a result of last week’s sudden deluge.
Narrabri itself has recorded its wettest March in almost a century as well as what is believed to be its wettest daily rainfall for March on record following last week’s intense downpour.
The enormous deluge resulted in water quickly filling Long Gully and Horsearm Creek, resulting in at least 40 properties experiencing floodwater inundation on land.
Fourteen properties also recorded over floor inundation, some as deep as 50 centimetres.
The Bureau of Meteorology recorded 89.2mm in the 24 hour period to 9am on Saturday, March 29, and a further 48mm through Saturday to 9am on Sunday, March 30 at its Narrabri Airport
automatic weather station. Other locations reported significantly higher rainfall.
The falls brought Narrabri’s total rainfall to 195mm for March, the wettest March since 1931 which was recorded at the former Narrabri Bowling Club station.
Narrabri and Lower Namoi SES Local Commander, Chief Inspector Tony Battam ESM said areas of Narrabri West, particularly around Baranbar, Mooloobar and Boundary Streets, and areas south of the railway line, were among the worst impacted by floodwater.
Local emergency services weren’t spared the wrath of the rising floodwater, with the Narrabri VRA’s Mooloobar Street’s headquarters flooded while the Narrabri RFS brigade also saw floodwater enter its facility.
Chief Insp Battam said water had risen incredibly fast in Long Gully.
The SES had checked water levels three times, at three-quarters full at the most recent check.

Photo sourced from drone footage captured by Kevin Rushby.
Within almost 15 minutes, the water had risen so much it had spread out across two kilometres across the highway and to parts of the west.
Chief Insp Battam praised the support of local emergency services including the RFS, VRA, Fire and Rescue and police, as well as the support of locals who assisted in making sandbags at the SES unit’s Reid Street facility.
“We had a great response from the entire community,” Chief Insp Battam said.
Emergency services have also responded to flood incidents across the district.
Chief Insp Battam said flood rescues had been conducted with motorists stuck in floodwater. Flood rescues were also conducted in western areas, particularly on unsealed roads.
The image of a truck trapped at Vera’s Leap is reminiscent of a similar incident during one of the district’s most recent significant flood events.
Police have launched an investigation into the matter while the SES has continued to warn people of the dangers of entering floodwaters.
Chief Insp Battam urged people to continue to follow the well-known flood phrase – ‘if it’s flooded, forget it’.
Chief Insp Battam drew people’s attention to floodwater on Goobar Street on the outskirts of town which had hidden considerable damage to the structure underneath.
“You just don’t know what’s happening under the floodwater,” Chief Insp Battam warned.
Residents impacted by nearby floodwater also complained of motorists driving through water, pushing floodwater into properties.
Chief Insp Battam urged people to follow road closure signs and instances when roads are open, to think about other people when driving through larger volumes of water.
To order photos from this page click here