By Max Pringle OAM

In view of the ever changing times with the Coronavirus pandemic the executive of the Narrabri Probus Club decided to hold an impromptu extraordinary meeting at Cameron Park on Monday afternoon, March 23.

The meeting began with the induction of David Streeter, the incoming president being duly sworn into the president’s position.

David was presented with his chain of office and his president’s pin after which he conducted a short meeting.

At this meeting those present decided to abide by the government ruling and put the club into recess.

Discussions then followed on with what the club would do for the remainder of the year.

Under the circumstances it was decided that we would follow Government instruction and remain closed until the situation changed.

Those present at the meeting were Ray Stoltenberg, Eric Gordon, Gordon Cain, Max Pringle, David Streeter, Fred Baldwin and Stuart Barnes.


Probus ‘green day’ trip to Bingara

Forty six Probus members and friends availed themselves of the Probus Green Day outing to Bingara to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day on March 17 (prior to the COVID-19 restrictions).

The group met at the RSL Club and were underway just after 7am for what proved to be very worthwhile outing.

On the way, Rob, the coach driver, stopped on top of the mountain to pick up Alan and Trish Hadley, Alan’s mother, Pat Hlad and Pat’s brother, Tony, who was visiting from England.

A large celebration cake with green icing, in keeping with the ‘green day’ theme, was obtained from the bakery as the group met at the Roxy Theatre for morning tea.

Stuart Barnes, Phillip Poore, Ron and Pat Woods and John Hunt all had reasons to celebrate and so enjoyed the opportunity.

The cake was so nice that most people went back for seconds.

After morning tea, the group was given a talk on the history of the Roxy Theatre, past owners and builders etc. by Jenny Mead.

Jenny explained that when the Roxy Café was in a state of disrepair, someone removed the seats and when it was to be restored, they returned them so the seating and tables are original.

Jenny then escorted them on a tour of the town with Jenny telling them all about the various establishments, including the hospital and aged care, the museum and the library.

During the drought the fish were caught and removed from the river and placed in a dam where they could be looked after.

Once the rain came and the river was flowing, all the fish were returned to the river.

Lunch was at the RSL Club before the group was given free time to explore the town and what it had to offer before it was time for the group to board the coach and return to Narrabri.

All in all it was a very exciting day out.

To order photos from this page click here