The Narrabri Eagles’ proposed joint venture with the Moree Suns is off and the local Australian rules football club will not field a team in the AFL North West competition in 2020.
Eagles’ president Tom Carberry released a statement earlier this week in which he said the club would still offer training sessions for its team members as well as players from other clubs whose seasons have been affected or abandoned due to COVID-19.
It was the COVID-19 pandemic that led to the Eagles pulling out of the 2020 competition.
“On behalf of myself and the Narrabri Eagles committee I would like to publicly announce that the Eagles won’t be submitting a team into the North West competition this year due COVID-19 concerns,” Carberry said.
“This decision wasn’t made lightly but was made in the best interest of our players, their families and the wider community of Narrabri, which luckily haven’t seen a case of COVID-19 yet and we’d like to keep it that way.
“However Eagles, this does not mean we will drop the ball here.
“This is where we will rebuild, footy training is resuming next week.
“So make sure you come get back into it with us and bring a mate with you.
“We are also inviting all men and women especially from league and union teams who are still looking to keep fit to join us every Tuesday and Thursday.”
The club is also in the early stages of hosting a mixed social AFL nines comp in September.To order photos from this page click here