Narrabri Touch Inc’s ever popular winter mixed competition will not go ahead in 2020 as the committee now turns its attention to rebuilding and planning for the 2020-21 summer competition.
The 2019-20 summer competition was abandoned seven days out from grand final night when the COVID-19 pandemic first emerged as a genuine threat to community sport back in March.
It was hoped that a winter season could be contested, but as the restrictions put in place by the NSW Government are slowly eased the Narrabri Touch committee decided at a meeting last week that there was not enough time to prepare for and then host a winter season.
Narrabri Touch president Linton Grumley said that he knew players would be disappointed, being a player himself, but said that any competition could not begin for at least four weeks and by that time the summer season would have almost arrived.
The 2020-21 summer season now has a scheduled start date which is Monday, October 12.
As usual the summer season will host a men’s competition and a ladies’ competition.
However, before then Narrabri Touch must allocate a referees’ co-ordinator, a secretary and now a COVID-19 officer to complete its committee.
“The committee has been the same people since I joined which was about four years ago,” Grumley said.
“We have a few crucial positions vacant so now is the time for some new faces to come on board and bring some fresh ideas for the sport in our town.”
The Narrabri Touch committee advised that if those positions were not filled, the summer season was in danger of having its start date pushed back or even being cancelled altogether.
Junior touch is also scheduled to start in October.
Lorraine Scott is the Narrabri Touch committee’s junior co-ordinator for the 2020-21 season and is preparing an action-packed program for Narrabri’s future stars.
Meanwhile Grumley said that Narrabri Touch was also preparing to put together NSW State Cup teams should the annual event go ahead for 2020 in December.To order photos from this page click here