Normality is returning as the social restrictions of the COVID-19 crisis are further eased.
Following the coronavirus clampdown at the end of March the Narrabri Markets were suspended.
Three months have followed with the markets’ venue, Cameron Park and adjacent area along the Creek, remaining silent.
Now the markets and hundreds of visitors will be back on Saturday, July 4.
However there will be some remnant restrictions – for the time being the markets are relocated to the Selina Street Open Space on the southern side of the Creek bridge.
“We will ask people to practice social distancing of 1.5 metres,” said Narrabri Markets co-ordinator Tricia Hadley, who has operated the markets for 17 years.
Tricia has had to prepare a COVID -19 safety plan and post special signage.
She has met shire council and police representatives and they are happy for the markets to go ahead with the guidelines in place, she said.
Tricia said stall holders had been notified and she hoped about 30 will set up their tents and tables on Saturday.
“Everything from plants, clothing, local handicraft, the Lions barbecue, local coffee, all the regular stalls we hope will be there,” she said.
“The community is ready for the markets.
“It is a social event for the community. People come along to meet up and browse.
“They bring people into Narrabri from Walgett and the west.
“Visitors come to the markets and then go shopping, or go shopping and then come to the markets – they complement each other,” said Tricia.
“Some drop kids off to sport and come to the markets, or come to the markets and then go to sport – they fit around their visit to the markets.
Nurses changing shifts at the hospital are often the early starters as stalls open at 7.30am, Tricia said.To order photos from this page click here