The two 2019 Namoi Soccer League grand finalists went head-to-head in round two of the 2020 campaign on Saturday as Wee Waa United FC travelled to Hogan Oval to challenge Narrabri Sporties FC.

Both sides went into the match having won their round one contests and it was the Narrabri-based side which continued its undefeated start to the season as it downed defending champs Wee Waa 6-1.

The score was 1-1 at half-time as an understrength Wee Waa side with just one substitute at its disposal, and missing key players including AJ Swansbra, Shane and Monique Soutter and Nathan and Jayden Hamblin, battled hard.

But in the second half the floodgates opened for the home side which clicked into gear following a flat first half display. It piled on five more goals to score a total of six for a second consecutive week.

The other round two game was played in Moree between Moree Services FC and Narrabri Elevens FC. Moree won that match 3-0.

The Elevens travelled to play that match with just 11 players, meaning it had no players on the bench for the entire match.

Those unavailable on the day included first choice goalkeeper Matt Conroy and one of the side’s key attackers Riley Jenkins.

However rugby union converts Jacob Nichols and James Albert both travelled to play and both impressed on debut for the Elevens.

At Hogan Oval in the grand final rematch, the home side opened the scoring in the 15th minute when Rhys Hayne volleyed a loose ball into the back of the net from close range, with Wee Waa goalkeeper Steve Phelps on the ground having already produced a remarkable diving save to deny a Jason Foxe headed attempt.

Chances were few and far between in the first half for Wee Waa but on the 40-minute mark the visitors capitalised on one when Alex Lucero charged past the Sporties FC defence and slotted a one-on-one shot around goalkeeper Zaac Brayshaw into the bottom right hand corner.

In the second stanza Sporties FC came out firing and netted four goals in 15 minutes to lead 5-1 on the hour mark, putting the game to bed.

The first goal was scored by Colby Williams who followed in a Cooper Brayshaw free kick shot which was spilled by Phelps, allowing Williams to tap home the loose ball into the back of the net.

Sporties FC made the score 3-1 shortly after when Brayshaw smashed a powerful strike from outside the 18-yard box into the bottom left hand corner.

The side’s next two goals were both assisted by Brayshaw and netted by Blake Jarrett to make the score 5-1. Both strikes were from close range, the first off the back of a cut back from the right edge goal line and the second from an in-swinging corner from the left.

The game’s seventh and final goal was scored by Jake Brayshaw who scored into an empty net from close range after a Hayne shot was saved by Phelps but rebounded towards goal which Brayshaw capitalised on.

Wee Waa will return home to Cook Oval this Saturday where it will challenge the Elevens for the first time in 2020.

Both of those sides will be determined to bounce back from round two defeats.

The two round two winners will meet in round three on Saturday when Narrabri Sporties FC travels to challenge Moree Services FC.

To order photos from this page click here