Wee Waa United FC’s senior side was crowned Namoi Soccer League champions with a grand final victory in September last year, and now the club’s junior competitive age group team is flying the town’s flag high following another win on Saturday.

In a top-of-the-table clash in the Narrabri Junior Soccer 13-17-years competition, Wee Waa defeated Narrabri-based outfit Santos 5-3.

The travelling side entered the round seven match on top of the table by a point and the win saw it finish the weekend four points clear in first place.

Wee Waa is now on 13 points following four wins, a draw and a loss, while fellow round seven winners CSD is on nine points as is Santos. Both of those teams have won three games each and lost three each.

Dr Cino, which CSD defeated 3-1 on Saturday, is last on four points following a win, a draw and four losses.

There are now just three rounds left to play in the 2020 season.

Wee Waa will take on Dr Cino this Saturday, CSD the following weekend then Santos in the last round.

This year there is no finals series for the Narrabri Junior Soccer competition, so the team which finishes on top of the ladder will be the premiers.

In Saturday’s round seven game Wee Waa established an early lead when Brock Radburn ran onto a lobbed through ball in the 11th minute and rounded the approaching Santos keeper Aimee Fladrick and slotted the call into an empty net to make the score 1-0.

On the half hour mark Brock Radburn scored his second to make the score 2-0 when he ran onto a Paige Morrison through ball and finished off a one-on-one chance.

Just before the break Wee Waa’s lead was cut down to one when Santos’ Zac Stait found the bottom left corner after running onto a Darcy Gleeson cross from the right edge and beating a defender inside the box before firing a powerful shot.

Wee Waa led 2-1 at the break, but just two minutes into the second half Santos’ first half goalkeeper Aimee Fladrick, who started the second half as striker, made the score 2-2 when she ran onto a Jack McCahon cross from the right and found the bottom left corner from close range.

Moments later Wee Waa almost regained the lead but an Axel Currey header from a corner cannoned back out off the crossbar.

Ten minutes into the second half Kallen Marchant found the back of the net for Wee Waa to make the score 3-2.

Two minutes later that became 3-all when Miles Campbell scored from 20 metres out for Santos with a curling lobbed shot.

On the 15-minute mark in the second stanza Wee Waa got back in front when Hayden Shearin ran onto a through ball and made no mistake with a one-on-one shot.

With 15 minutes remaining Hayden Shearin knocked in a second from close range after running onto a Brock Radburn cross which made the score 5-3.

That was the final goal of the game, with both teams unable to find the back of the net late in the game despite creating several chances each.

To order photos from this page click here