While new year revellers were relatively well-behaved ringing in 2021, an attempt to set off fireworks was of great concern to Narrabri police.

Inspector Robert Dunn, officer in charge of the Narrabri Sector, said police confiscated a number of fireworks at what was clearly a fireworks display at Collins Park (number one oval).

“This particular display was a big display,” he told The Courier.

The culprits were young people, aged over 18-years-old, and Inspector Dunn said some were clearly intoxicated.

He said while some of the offenders fled when police approached the people trying to detonate the fireworks, others still proceeded to light them.

The group is estimated at about 15 people and infringement notices will be issued to the people police have identified.

Police subsequently confiscated and destroyed the fireworks.


Police received a number of driving complaints from members of the Boggabri community.

The complaints related to the behaviour of a driver of a red Holden Commodore.

Police made numerous enquiries with local residents.

As a result, police spoke to a 17-year-old male on January 4. He was charged with negligent driving, learner unaccompanied, use unregistered vehicle and use uninsured vehicle.

Due to the seriousness of the matter, he will receive a future court attendance notice.

In a related incident, a 21-year-old male will receive a court attendance notice for driving while suspended.

Police would like to thank the community for informing police on the matter.


A 36-year-old man will face Narrabri Local Court on two counts of use carriage service to make a hoax or threat following phone calls received by a Baan Baa business.

After police received information in relation to a bomb threat, an investigation was undertaken which produced evidence in relation to phone calls resulting in the evacuation of the business.


On New Year’s Day, police stopped a silver BMW on Bowen Street and breath tested the male driver.

The roadside breath test was positive and the man was arrested and conveyed to Narrabri Police Station.

At the station, the 54-year-old man recorded a reading of .148 – almost three times the legal limit.

The man will receive a court attendance notice for mid-range PCA. His licence was suspended.


At 10.50am on December 31, a man entered a business premise in Maitland Street and had an altercation with another person in the area.

As a result of the altercation, a vehicle outside the premises was damaged. The incident was captured on CCTV.

Police were called to the matter which resulted in a 27-year-old male and 34-year-old male receiving a court attendance notice for affray.


A 20-year-old male was charged with reckless wounding, assault causing actual bodily harm and affray following an incident in May Street on December 13.

Residents from neighbouring premises were involved in an altercation which started off as a verbal altercation.

The 20-year-old man allegedly punched a victim in the face.

Police allege that the victim fell and struck his head on the ground.

The victim was subsequently treated in hospital for his injuries.


Police were called to an incident at a licensed premises in Maitland Street on December 11.

A 29-year-old male, alleged to be under the influence of alcohol, became enraged for reasons unknown.

Police allege that the man became involved in an altercation with the licensee and people in the premises.

He was ejected from the premises and it is alleged he became confrontational with police.

The man was charged with affray, common assault, behave in an offensive manner, failing to quit premises, assault police and resist police.


During the recent heavy rainfall events, police and other emergency services were required to help motorists in serious flood incidents.

At 5.30am on December 17, a motorbike rider was swept off his bike while travelling on the Newell Highway, near Bellata.

Days later, and only a few kilometres away from the first incident, a dual-cab ute towing a trailer was also swept off the highway after driving into floodwater.

Two passengers in the vehicle were able to free each other but had to assist the driver who was trapped inside as the vehicle started going underwater.

The three occupants of the vehicle managed to get to a bank for safety.

As a result of the two dangerous flood incidents, police were able to get Roads and Maritime Services to introduce flood warning signs and indicators.

Police praised the actions of a passerby who assisted with one of the incidents.


On December 24, a white Toyota Yaris was stolen from a rural property in the area.

Investigations revealed that the vehicle had been sighted in a number of CCTV cameras in the Narrabri area.

The vehicle was found on January 3 parked among trees.


A 32-year-old man was arrested at Parkes following the theft of firearms and a safe from a Baan Baa property between December 24 and 26.

A 36-year-old man is still wanted by police in relation to the incident.

To order photos from this page click here