The Kamilaroi Highway between Narrabri and Wee Waa has been closed in response to the rising Namoi River.
Narrabri Shire Council has advised that the highway is now closed at the Glencoe Channel.
The highway closure is in addition to the continued closure of the Kamilaroi Highway between Boggabri and Gunnedah.
Current river level data shows the Namoi River at Wee Waa (Glencoe) at 6.69 metres as at 1pm on Thursday, almost reaching major flood status of 6.70 metres.
In Narrabri, the Narrabri Creek was at 5.83 metres as at 1pm on Thursday. The creek is expected to peak at 6.4 metres by Friday with moderate flooding.
Flood Safety Advice:
In life threatening emergencies, call 000 (triple zero) immediately. If you require rescue, assistance to evacuate or other emergency help, ring NSW SES on 132 500.
- Avoid drowning. Stay out of rising water, seek refuge in the highest available place.
- Prevent damage to your vehicle. Move it under cover, away from areas likely to flood.
- Avoid being swept away. Stay out of fast-flowing creeks and storm drains.
- Never drive, ride or walk through flood water. Flood water can be deceptive and dangerous.
For more emergency information, advice, and access to the latest river heights and rainfall observations and forecasts:
* NSW SES: www.ses.nsw.gov.au
* RMS Live Traffic: www.livetraffic.com
* Latest River Heights and Rainfall Observations: www.bom.gov.au/nsw/flood/northwest.shtml
* Latest NSW Warnings: www.bom.gov.au/nsw/warnings/
* Rainfall Forecasts: www.bom.gov.au/australia/meteye/
* BOM NSW Twitter: www.twitter.com/BOM_NSWTo order photos from this page click here