A man appeared in court last Friday after allegedly engaging in a pursuit and hitting two police vehicles before being stopped south of Moree.

Officers attached to New England Police District were alerted by Queensland Police about 6pm on Thursday, March 7, that a table-top truck, allegedly laden with a stolen bobcat, had entered NSW at Boggabilla and was being driven south along the Newell Highway.

Officers were advised the truck had been followed by Queensland Police, with a 27-year-old senior constable sustaining minor injuries when his vehicle was allegedly rammed at Millmerran.

He was treated in hospital.

NSW Police attempted to intercept the truck about 100km north of Moree.

Police will allege the driver ignored directions and continued south, frequently crossing to the incorrect side of the highway.

A pursuit was initiated with road spikes deployed at the Gwydir River Bridge, 10km north of Moree, which deflated one front tyre; however, the driver continued south.

A fully-marked NSW Police caged-truck, which had been positioned to block northbound traffic as a precaution, was clipped by the truck south of Moree, rendering it unusable.

The truck continued on the wrong side of the highway for a further 10km before hitting a power pole snapping it off and dislodging the bobcat from the tray. Powerlines were also brought down, impacting police and other motorists.

The truck was again driven from the scene – leaving the bobcat behind – allegedly continuing to swerve into northbound lanes. Dozens of light and heavy vehicles were forced to pull off the highway taking evasive action to avoid a collision with the oncoming truck.

The truck eventually came to a stop south of Gurley, about 30km south of Moree, with the front nearside wheel ground down to the steel hub.

Police arrested the alleged driver, a 24-year-old man from Quirindi.

He was taken to Moree District Hospital for assessment and mandatory blood and urine testing before being transferred to Moree Police Station.

The Quirindi man was charged with use offensive weapon to prevent lawful detention, drive while licence cancelled, receive property stolen outside NSW, negligent driving (no death or grievous bodily harm), predatory driving, and drive recklessly/furiously or speed/manner dangerous.

He was refused bail and appeared at Inverell Local Court on Friday, March 8.


To order photos from this page click here